Busking ...

June started off very quickly and was busy all the way through.  I started busking in Queen Street Mall (Brisbane), after I acquired my busking licence. I decided to do one day a week, though the actual day is flexible.  

There are lots of open spaces where the music would be just washed away with the wind and other noise.  I found a space that has good aucostics in between the buildings.  It's a small area where the people just walk through, at the most just 10-12 metres from me.  

My guitar is quite loud and I'm pretty loud, too.  I got a new guitar - a Taylor Koa GS Mini and it really suits for busking in a smaller area - plus it's much easier ergonomically, when playing for a period of time.  

I found my limit as far as singing and how long I can play guitar before the nerves on my fingers get a bit funny (and suddenly I can't hit some notes).  And that's when I think that's it for me. I can do about 40 songs, maybe a few more - some days not so many.  I've been looking through my list and probably three out of five times I've played 39 songs - 45 one time, 41 another.

Because of the distance between me and people walking past, I need to keep my volume up, which means I focus on my breathing, which is good exercise.

Now I'm not working I've been going to Banshees every week. Shift-work used to interfere with my attendance.  I've been trying out a few new songs. It's been really good.  I feel a lot more confident in my playing and my singing.  I used to be more easily distracted but now with the busking, some people smiling, commenting, putting money - I have to play and sing while interacting with passers-by.  It's been a really good experience for me and I'll continue busking until it becomes cumbersome.

Everything's pretty good ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Australian Songwriting Contest

July - I Heart Songwriting Club Retreat!

What Am I Worth?